Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

November 2, 2011

We're Diaper-FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!

(Said a la Dave Ramsey…which, come to think of it, may be appropriate…since versus this time last year we’ll be saving about $80 a month on diapers! [Of course there’s the additional cost of toilet paper and water from flushing, but it’s not like I’m setting up a spreadsheet or anything…])

Baby A has been out of diapers since the end of April. All the while, Baby B seemed very comfortable in – even quite proud of – her diapers. She would ask to sit on the potty from time to time, and I’d oblige, but she never had any success. (She did have a small output about three weeks ago, but it seemed to be an isolated incident.)

Baby B has been staying dry through naps and overnight for quite some time. And over the past two or three months, she would tell me the moment her diaper needed changing, and insist that it be done immediately.

I would occasionally remind B, casually, to try to tell Mommy before she needed to go so she could sit on the potty. We started a sticker card for Baby A (one sticker for keeping clean and dry all day), and Baby B would cheer her sister’s successes.

Still, she wasn’t keen on me actively encouraging her to sit on the potty. She even got pretty upset a couple of mornings when – given her dry diaper – I tried getting her in position.

Enter Wednesday of last week.

Mid-morning, Baby B asked to sit on the potty. I put her there, and sat down with her for some encouragement. She seemed to somehow have a different look on her face. I leaned in and told her, “It’s OK to let go.” She looked right back at me, said, “I know,” and went!!!

I asked her if she wanted to wear underwear, and she said yes. I haven’t changed a diaper since!!!

We had a couple of accidents on Wednesday and Thursday, and maybe one each on Friday and Saturday. Sunday Baby B earned her first sticker for keeping clean all day!!!

It’s been amazing to watch the progression, and over such a relatively short period of time, too. Those first couple of days, even after B would tell me she needed to sit on the potty, it would take her a long time – maybe five or ten minutes – to “relax”. That definitely presented some challenges, as it was sometimes hard for Baby A to be patient, and/or wait for her turn on the potty.

B gradually got more comfortable, and by Saturday she was much more efficient.

It was also incredible to see how she learned to give me more notice before she needed to go. Those first couple of days, her need was pretty instantaneous. Again, by the weekend, she was able to offer me a “window of opportunity” of at least a couple of minutes.

The first few days were pretty emotional. I remember when Baby A was going through this…it seemed to be such a big adjustment to a new level of responsibility, she was very, very sensitive. The experience was very similar with Baby B.

This time, I also had to remember to praise Baby A…although she’s been out of diapers for six months, I quickly realized I should tell both girls how proud I am, not just focusing on Baby B’s new talent.

One week later, I’m so very proud of my girlies. Baby B has progressed so quickly, having earned another sticker yesterday. Both girls seem to have adjusted to their new levels of responsibility…and are doing really well in learning to take turns.

And we're looking forward to a farewell ceremony for our diaper pail this weekend!

14 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

You are KIDDING me!

That was soooo quick :)

So no nappies even at night?

Marcia (123 blog) said...

PS I think Deanna and I (and maybe Mandy too) should send all our kids to you for Potty Training Boot Camp.

You up for it?

Julia said...

Yay! Doing a happy dance for you! I think you need to treat yourself to something wonderful, Mandy! I know there were some hard moments! :) Hooray!

Cuz I'm the mama! said...

Congrats ... big time!! You have worked hard for this and it is a real testimony that EACH child (twin or not) is different and on their own schedule. It's so hard not to want to see them do it at the same time, but I give you credit for letting her find her own way. I think in the end it worked better not to force her. I am very curious how things will pan out with my girls. They show all the signs of being ready, but will not eliminate on the potty chair. That's kind of a big deal in order to make it work. :) Anyway.... great job ... and yahoo on saving $80/month!

Mandy said...

I agree! MandyE will be the group potty trainer! I'll pay handsomely!!

Congrats to her! We have one little lady, trained only for pee, but only while awake. I just don't get it. Our diapers are really getting torn up so I would love for them to step on it!

Deanna said...

Oh, I am SOOOO jealous!! I am desperately hoping this happens with my girls one day soon. I know exactly what you mean about the "expression". I could see it on M's face the first time she knew she was going to pee in the potty.

Way to go, B!! (And A too, of course!)

P.S. Three days til the "Game of the Century"!! Are you excited? It's just about all anyone is talking about here. ; )

Wiley said...

Just awesome. That is all!

James said...

I cannot wait to post those same words.

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

So. jealous. Any chance she was in size 6 diapers? send me your leftovers! ha!

With that said - the excitement over Thomas undies faded quickly and he still refuses to even attempt the potty!

Unknown said...

LOVE this! I'm so happy for you! So tell us, what are you going to do with all that extra money? I can't wait for that $80 a month!

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

WooHoo! :)

Rebecca said...

Wait...nighttime and naps too? That is much too AWESOME!!!

Olusola said...

You my dear are the poster mommy for potty training. I've been following your potty escapades for a while and really admire how you were patient enough to let Baby B come to it on her own. Good job mama

Renae said...

Hooray! That's fantastic news!